Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Season


Well, it is certainly time to update my blog and thanks to jet lag I am able to.  The rest of the world sleeps while I am wide awake and after raiding the fridge this morning for breakfast (or maybe that dinner, I'm not sure) I decided it was time to update. 
We did manage to decorate this year.  We dragged all out things out:  Our Christmas tree lost a branch - but I said that was just more realistic in that we had to put the side "with the hole" by the wall.  We put up our nativities we got at the Christmas bazaar and there are other garlands
 and candles around.  It is nice to have a cozy and warm home (both in temperature and feeling). :)  

The High school Christmas concerts were the second weekend in December and were sooo good.  Our students have amazing voices and in the high school there is NO shame in singing - especially the guys - they love singing and they are good.  In addition we seem to have a lot of
 students that can play multiple instruments.  One of my students (who is usually falling asleep in Chemistry class often plays the bass for fellowship.  However, he pulled out his Cello to accompany the Chamber choir and in the band was playing the Tuba.  He also plays the piano.  He's just one of many.  Overall, the music was fantastic and it was a great evening. 

Every year I have an urge to go to Beijing around Christmas.  Something like I feel like I just need some "Christmas shopping" experience - I don't
 know...but it's fun to go to Beijing and I thought this year I wasn't going to go - until I realized that I did need a couple of last things before I went home... and I wanted to meet up with some very
 dear friends of mine.  Jo and Nigel taught with me at SIAS for two years and are very special to me.  They will be returning to S. Africa after this year and I want to make sure to get some time in with them before the go.  As they are living in Beijing it is quite close.  So Molly and I took off after we taught in the morning at school, rode the bullet train to Beijing, went shopping in super fast mode at the pearl market (for those that have been there), and then met up with Jo and Nigel.  It was a busy day but worth it. 

Each year some students leave in the middle of their junior year to return to Korea to finish up school and prepare for the college exam.  This year we lost a significant number, seven
 students.  And while it is always sad to see kids go, these ones had a special place in my heart.  I had taught most of them in 8th grade as well as 10th grade and was close to many of them.  They added so much to an already amazing group of kids and I will definitely miss them.  :(  Clara is one of the girls from the group that comes to my house a lot that moved back to Korea.  Maybe someday I can go visit them all.  :)  

I am now back in PA and looking forward to spending some good time with my family.  Oh - and by the way the day after I left Tianjin it snowed 5 inches....It was supposed to snow in PA but didn't/hasn't. :(   Too bad!  I'll keep dreaming. :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Jo & Nigel! Really, aww to everything! Miss you!