Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Little problem....

Dad this one is for you :) 

We noticed an electrical smell in our house a couple of days ago but when a light bulb blew out we figured that was it and we would get it fixed next week.  We didn't think of it much more until today.  Molly and I went out this morning and when we returned we noticed the electrical smell was REALLY strong.  I had to run another errand and by the time I got home my
 roommates informed me that thanks to the neighbor we had found the culprit - our fuse box was melting...   Yes, this was a little bit of a problem so we made an emergency call to the
 company's handy maintenance man who came over immediately and said in Chinese the equivalent of "oh my".  Thankfully a few hours later he had replaced everything and we are back in order.  I took a picture of it because I thought my Dad (an electrician) would be interested in seeing it.  And yes, we are thankful that our apartment did not catch on fire and everything is ok!  Moral of the story - don't ignore electrical smells....or look harder for the culprit next time. :) 


4 comments:

carl said...

Jenn,

How grateful we are that no fire developed from this. Yes, I've seen circuit breakers charred like this quite often. There is a reason all electric connections, controls etc. that carry major loads are enclosed in metal or fireproof plastic boxes.

A faulty connection has resistance which causes heat and heat increases resistance and so it perpetuates itself once started.

You are right- when you smell something that resembles burning, investigate immediately.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I'm so glad you found the problem before it was too late. Are the boxes mounted on a wooden board? It could have caught fire. Dad said here they are mounted on metal.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Ai ya, ai-go (have you learned that one?), oh my! Slightly scary!

Jennifer said...

Hmmmm - so what you're saying Dad is that my fuse box should not be made of plywood.... hmmmm - next time I'm at Home depot maybe I need to see if they have fuse boxes - wanna come over and replace it for us? We have a long list of other repairs needing done to - just kidding. :)

yes, we are very thankful we are safe and nothing else resulted from it!

Miranda - I have not heard "ai-go". Is that also Chinese or Toronton Chinese? :)