Korean food. I really do enjoy Korean food, but even more so I wanted to get to know some of my students' parents. I know that my students' mom's cook
really well. Last year for Spring trip I made it known that I really like Kimbop (the Korean version of sushi). and I had an agreement with my students, I will bring the chocolate chip cookies, they bring the kimbop. I had a LOT of kimbop and it was GOOD! :)
But I didn't think that I could actually make it. Finally, last Saturday one of my former students had me over for h
er mom to teach me how to make kimbop.

To make Kimbop you need seaweed paper, rice, sesame oil, carrots, thinly fried egg, blanched spinach, imitation crabmeat, a sausage like meat, and a pickled radish kind of thing. (forgive my lack of description there). You carefully place the rice on the seaweed paper, stack the filling on top and then carefully and tightly roll is up. (look at the bottom the picture). Then you slice it in small segments and there's your kimbop! :)


I had an excellent teacher and I really enjoyed the time getting to know my students mother. She was such an encouragement to me. I plan on making my own kimbop this week and sharing it with my students (well a few - not all). But when it comes to school trips, I think I'll keep my cookies for kimbop agreement. :)
9 comments:
Hi Jenn,
Thanks for the pictures and story of how to make kimbop. I don't think I would like the seaweed paper though. I ate seaweed in Brazil when Kawada brought us some and I haven't missed it in the last 20 years since then. It does look pretty though.
Love,
Mom
You've eaten Kimbop mom - when you were here. :) So you don't want me to bring the stuff home at Christmas? I thought it would be a nice addition to our Christmas dinner? :) Seriously - New Years?
Oh, I just LOVE reading all this! Thanks for keeping us up to date on your blog, Jenn! ...Christy in Texas :)
You're the coolest Ms Forney! :) The kimbap looks really good! The spaghetti skype story is hilarious and something I have totally done as well!
I continue to enjoy reading about your life over there....had the JBMS teachers over for supper last Monday evening....economy has been the news for most here...personally I am getting tired of the political campaigning, but at least I am free to turn the TV off when I want to....if all goes well, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam during the month of December....it will be different again to celebrate Christmas overseas. Ruth
Good to hear from you Christy. It's good to hear you are still following along. :) Ruth, sounds like a great trip this winter! I will try not to be too jealous. :) And Jungrok, I'm glad I'm glad we're not the only ones... :) The blessings of skype. :)
I'm starting to avoid your blog when feeling hungry, Jenn. Every time I check it out, there's pictures and descriptions of tasty food. Yummm! Do you (and/or others) always wear plastic gloves when making food for yourselves? Just curious. The spaghetti skype story was great too!
Dave, :) Yup - i'm all about food....:) Good question about the gloves. I had never used them before I made Kimbab. I think they were used b/c the rice is sticky and messy and after they are made you rub the seaweed with oil which is kind of messy. Much easier for clean up. I actually thought it was a good idea and we now have some in our drawer. We used them the other day when preparing the ground beef we got at the meat market. I'm finding they come in handy - long answer to your question.
Alright Jenn, if you want to make kimbop for New Years this year and we can get all the stuff to do it well, let's go for it. I'm game to try something new. Are you sure I had some when I was in China? I can't remember eating it. Ha!
Mom
Post a Comment