Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Crab Story

Friday the 14th just happened to be my birthday... (for those of you wondering I am now 27). I'll just share a couple of the fun stories from the day...

I share a birthday with some students at school and so most of them know it's my birthday and do a great job of singing to me. For those that didn't, my sister had sent me a "lovely" (note: sarcasm needed)pin that said "birthday girl" - looked like I won the state fair or something. Anyway, I was ordered to wear it and managed to put aside my embarrassment for a couple of classes. So if students didn't know before they certainly did after they read my hot pink pin.

My roommates took good care of me, baking me muffins in the morning, giving me flowers, and baking a delicious cake.

The crab story: Molly and Dani Beth asked what I wanted to do for my birthday. The usual going out to dinner did not appeal to me as fighting traffic in Tianjin on a Friday is just NOT relaxing and enjoyable. It finally came to my mind that this would be the perfect time to try the crabs I see out on the street all the time... So after school on Friday we ventured out on the street and bought a bag full of crabs. I thought they looked a little strange and a little small - but what do I know. :) Besides, I just wanted something fun and "memorable".


We brought them home and dumped them in the bathtub for a good shower (they - like everything else here - were dirty and muddy). We then had fun picking them up and putting them in a bucket to transport them to the stove where we dropped them into the boiling water. Unfortunately, against my better judgement I listened to Betty Crocker's advice and cooked them for 15 minutes - FAR TOO LONG! We sat down to our feast of crabs and started the arduous process of finding something to actually eat inside. Let's just say they were SMall - amd mushy, in addition, they had these strange spikey things on their skinny legs and a strange growth like fungus on their claws. Our potatoes we had tried to cook didn't turn out so swell either (note to self...potatoes done in the microwave are not exactly good). As Molly remarked in the middle, "Man, this water sure is delicious!" After about 30 minutes and only digging a few morsals (i'm not exaggerating) we all quickly agreed to order pizza. :) It was definitely memorable and we sure laughed a lot!
Lot's of friends came over in the evening and after eating cake (That was much more successful than the crabs I must say) we went down to the little bridge area that is usually full of interesting night life. I was hoping to be able to ride paddle boats on the canal but unfortunately for some strange reason they weren't open that night. But the karaoke, Chinese opera practice under the bridge, and impromptu chinese orchestra were all performing (at the same time - some interesting "music" to the ears)... We also discovered a new type of street food - quail eggs fried on a stick with lots of MSG and other spices, and Katie and Dave bought me a beautiful butterfly made of candied sugar that another vendor made. We threw darts to win cheesy prizes and just in general had a fun time.








That about sums up my birthday on the China side. I felt pretty special and loved and I guess that's what birthday's are all about. :)
This week is Fall camps at school. I will leave Tuesday and get back Friday afternoon. You can think about all of us as we head to the mountains for some bonding time as a high school.
And this just in.... I'm going to a Women's World Cup game Saturday night here in Tianjin. There is a possibility I may get to see the US team if they win on Tuesday. So check the sports section!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Where is the picture of you wearing your pin? I'm glad you liked it so much. I liked the pictures. It was hard for me to imagine the candied butterfly you explained to me, but the picture was very cool. I'm glad you had a good birthday. We were thinking of you. Word of advice: don't do crabs. We know from personal experience - too much work for the food. Love ya. Anne

Anonymous said...

SO good talking to you the other day, and such fun visuals for the stories now! :) Have splendid week! *hug*

Unknown said...

SHENG RI KUAI LE Jenn! :) Can't wait to hear about Fall Camp! loves, Jungrok

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I loved your story and the pictures. I'm sure you will laugh about this birthday supper for years to come. So glad you had a memorable day. Have a fun week at camp.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, I want to see the (in)famous birthday pin! I'm sorry I'm a terrible friend... I'm glad you have good friends in TJ to celebrate with!