It is now October Holiday here in China (the anniversary of the founding of the country was on October 1st (think China's own version of July 4th)). We have a week off of school right now and I am taking a couple of days to breathe deeply and rest after a whirlwind of a month.
Teaching is going well. I have been reworking a number of my units and that has been going well. Here is a picture of my classroom this year. Word Walls, good objectives and great students as well as 1:1 computers (yes all my students have a macbook now) has made teaching different and good. Here is a picture of my classroom on a day we had a guest speaker. I love guest speakers! :)
The second weekend in September I watched the kids of a good couple friend of mine while the
y had a principal's retreat. I didn't get much sleep that weekend but did enjoy the time with the kids and the wonderful weather. We had lots of fun going to the park, playing with their friends and doing some science experiments. I think they have good memories of the weekend. :)I also turned - well - let's just say I had a birthday this
month and felt very loved by my "China
family" here and my family in America. We celebrated by eating cashew chicken (it's seriously the best cashew chicken in the world) and had a little open house for friends. My students also made me feel love with cupcakes and their thoughtfulness. Thanks everyone! 

Two days after my birthday I went to a technology conference in Shanghai with five other teachers from TIS. Wow - it was great to see what is out there and how we are doing in technology. I went feeling a little insecure and left feeling like, "Wow, we're doing great!" I picked up a few great ideas. We also took some time to enjoy the sites and food of Shanghai! such as the views of the city and of course Burger King. :)


The last week in September we took our students north of Beijing to Fall Camp - a time which is used to promote unity among the school and allow our seniors an opportunity for leadership. It was a great three days in the mountains and I enjoyed getting to know the students better. There were lots of fun skits, games, and times there.


We returned from Fall Camp, unpacked, and repacked for a teacher's conference in Beijing. International School's Of China (whom I work for) had their annual teacher's conference in Beijing the first 4 days of the October break. This was a great time to meet up with old friends from my master's degree who are teaching at other schools as well as grow professionally and personally.
And that's about it from this side of the world. After all of that I am glad to be back in my own bed and ready for things to slow down a little. Fall is definitely in the air here. And although a mountain of grading is waiting for me...it's time for some rest.
1 comment:
Always love to see your pics Jenn. Miss TJ, TIS and all the cool peeps (esp you!). Jon will be there in a few weeks. So wish I could hide in his suitcase and go as well...maybe this fall. I'll just keep wishin.
Post a Comment