Sunday, March 23, 2008

The signs that spring is here...

1. ....The Green tarps come down. This is one of the trees (that remains standing - the others have been torn down for the new road) in front of the school - if you look back at an old post you will see how it was shrouded in a lovely green tarp all winter. Spring is coming! (please take note of the sidewalk construction here - that's number 4 on this list).




2. Plastic bags in trees: This used to be a much more common scene. With the strong winds and the abundance of empty plastic bags these bags blow all over the city and usually grace many tree branches. As of June these bags are supposed to be outlawed due to the beautifying necessary for the olympics.






3...DUST. This is in the form of dust storms from the Gobi (those are the yellow days here) and just from the wind blowing over the fields and areas here where the grass has not started growing yet. It covers everything and although we'd love to open our windows for some "fresh" air too often the dust comes in with it.






4. Construction - I could devote a whole couple of pages to the construction that has just occurred in the last two weeks. It's unbelievable. I feel my world is being turned upside down. I think every sidewalk between here and school has been torn up, the roads are being torn up, buildings torn down, areas "beautified". I had to mourn for some trees that were cut down for the widening of the road in front of the school but they've planted more trees in other places.





5. Mangos and Strawberries!! The Mangos have arrived (they usually are in season starting the spring and last through mid-late summer). I LOVE mangos and right now mango/strawberry yoghurt smoothies are soooo good!! One of the extra little special things about living here. We often buy strawberries and mangos daily from the street vendor because a, we can, and b: they usually don't last very long. The strawberries won't be in season much longer but I'm enjoying them while they are here!!


No comments: