Sunday, March 9, 2008

Afternoon Visit

Yesterday I went to visit my friends' grandma. She likes to sew and make things with her hands and I had seen her things at our Christmas Bazaar at school. After I found her needle holders so practical and told my friend how much I loved quilting she said she would take me to visit her grandma. She only lives a couple of minutes bike ride away from my apartment - quite convenient!

It is not very common for older Chinese to have hobbies such as these. While most stay active socializing or taking care of grandchildren, they do not often do things with their hands.
(I'm embarrassed I don't know her name except "grandma" so that's what I'll call her). Nai nai takes fabric that friends give her and puts them together as blankets or small purses or bags to carry things home from the market in. She also makes butterflies with beads and some other really intricate charms. I wish I had a good picture of the other things but I don't. She said she only does it because she likes to keep her mind occupied and likes to do something with her hands. :)

Since I love quilting as well it was a special treat to visit a Chinese who also enjoys this hobby (she also like plants!! :) ) hehe. I begged her to teach me how to make the Chinese special buttons that are made from fabric and have a really cool design. They're much harder than they look! But she's promised to teach me more next time I come. :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

how fun!! this is so cool, glad you got to meet a fun Nai nai to learn new things from. I especially love the obligatory cartoon calendars hanging in the background. :)

I started taking french classes, and love it! je ne parle pas francaise! haha