Sunday, August 26, 2007

Furniture and Fabric

The first full week of school went very well. Being a 3rd year teacher is really nice. I'm not bored with the information yet but I am definitely more prepared and less stressed. That will now be officially over as my online Master's program is starting this weekend.

We are still working on getting things for the house. We had wanted some antiques and I was still in need of some fabric so yesterday I went around to two antique places (one was in the flower market) and back to the fabric market. It was a busy day. I took some pictures so you can kind of have an idea. As well as a couple more picture of the fabric market.
The first antique place we went to is a warehouse full of old furniture and it's just piled high and collecting dust. And they have all collected a LOT of dust. Katie, my roommate last year, found three nice pieces there but this time I didn't have any such luck. Maybe it's hard for me to imagine what it would look like without all the dust - I'm not sure... They did have some cool trunks that I might go back for. What I thought was really interesting was the imported things there. VERY old singer sewing machine stands (with the machine still in it), old writing desks in a very European style. And even old pianos. I have a feeling that a lot of the things came from the old concessions area of town and from the time when the Europeans were in Tianjin. I could be wrong though.
for
The second place was the antique vendors in the flower market. These vendors sell new furniture but made in the traditional chinese style. I really liked the things they had and didn't think the price was too bad.

While we were there Katie and I took a lovely picture next to a giant vase. These are very Chinese and quite ridiculous I think but hey - if you'd like one you are welcome to come on over and pick one up. I for one will not be putting them in my living.

It was back to the fabric market (the other side of town). Now, sometimes the fabric market is ok and sometimes you don't find anything. Usually when you are looking for something specific, you can't find anything. I was able to get the rest of material I needed for my duvet cover and material for a skirt but I spent a lot of time there. It's also kind of scary when I start looking twice at sequined covered tops and think - Oh, that doesn't look too bad... My friend has been in China for 8 years and me 4 so we are both in bad shape and our question of "is this too chinese" was often met with silence b/c we just didn't know. I've just decided that globalization is in our favor and we can wear whatever we want b/c sequins will be popular all over the world in a matter of months.

It's also fun to rummage through the bins of patches, buttons, ribbon etc etc. This time I just happened to see on the top a sequined eggplant. Yes, indeed, an eggplant. My mind is just not creative enough to possibly think where one could use a sequined eggplant - If you have any ideas, let me know and I can send it to you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a yellow sweater that would look lovely with a sequined eggplant sown to it. Ok, well maybe I've been away from China long enough that I couldn't get away with it! When I first saw you with the Goliath-sized vases, I thought "No, Jen, you didn't..."

Haha! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I loved your pictures and story about your trip to the antique and fabric market on Sat. I don't think I remember going to the flower market and seeing all those tall vases and so much more when we were there. Your pictures and story bring it all back.

Love,
Mom

Jennifer said...

The Eggplant would look PERFECT on your yellow sweater Miranda! :) jk - have no fear, I will not be buying any mammoth vases. (Do you remember the one in Shaun's apt at SIAS??)

Mom - I'm not sure we're up for the tank yet. It just might be a bowl for Barton Tamale right now. We do want a tank but I have to get some furniture first...The AP bio students observed the behavior of the fish...ours was quite aggressive (also attributing to the Tamale aspect of his name. :) ) There are still more fish here in the bio room so I might put one on my desk. :) We'll see.

Becky Evans said...

Hi Jen,

I just read some of your blog about the fabric mart. I remember it well when shopping with Katie. It is overwhelming. Just wanted to tell you that a lot of clothes here have sequins on them now in pretty designs. I even bought some tops with sequins and I am 50+. I don't know about an eggplant though....

love,
Becky