Saturday, March 31, 2007

Music concerts of all kinds...

Sniff sniff. Somehow between the heat being turned off in the apartments (After March 15th apparently heat is no longer needed) and being continually overwhelmed I have come down with a pretty strong head cold....

This past week I am trying to catch up on all the things that were on the back burner while report card comments and such were being taken care of. I haven't quite managed to catch up. But enough with work. Last night was the choir concert and so I went to the school. Other school's that are a part of ISC (International School's of China) came and so all total there were about 100 students from 4 schools. (Please note some schools are very small and only brought about 10 students). It was an enjoyable concert and brought back many memories of my choir days....yes, I do miss them. Here's some of my fun 10th grade girls in their choir outfits.

Today I went to hear my friend sing Chinese opera. Liu is a teacher at TIS - I went to her family's house for the Lantern festival for those of you that read that entry. She sings in a professional Chinese Opera company and I've wanted to see her perform for some time. Well, today was the day. I took the bus about 30 minutes to the north part of the city to a little opera house that is 103 years old tucked into one of the ugliest shopping areas in all of Tianjin. Another Chinese friend met me there. It was a beautiful old tea house - three stories inside with an open center. Liu always treats me like royalty. I was able to visit with the other performers and watch them put on their make-up before (which can take up to two hours). Then it was time for the performance. My friend and I were put in the front row as special guests and served green tea during the performances. I have only heard other opera performances at touristy places and this was definitely not a tourist show. What I saw is "Yue Ju" which is southern opera and more melodic than norther Peking Opera. Not only was it a different kind of opera, but it lasted for 2 1/2 hours (much longer than most foreigners can handle) and most importantly, the audience was completely different. You could tell it was a different culture and most of the people there could sing along with the songs and knew people that were in the opera. They were all really enjoying it. You see, not everyone likes opera here (oh I should explain that this opera is a very nasaly high pitched sort of singing - don't even think of opera as we know it in the west). So it was neat to be in a different atmosphere. Everyone kept asking me if I could sing opera of which I quickly responded - "bu xing", (no!). They performed five different pieces from different operas. However, to an average person it's a lot of banging on sticks and high pitched ummm, sort of singing. I was ok for the first two hours of the performance but have to admit that after 2 1/2 hours I had had enough. I can still hear the tunes in my head

After the performance Liu made me come up on stage to take pictures with everyone. She also introduced me to all the musicians and to everyone at the theater. I think they were very excited to have a foreigner there who actually seemed to like the opera. :) Everyone was very friendly and gracious. She is a great hostess and I was so glad I could go to see her. She is the one in the red in the pictures. Below is a picture all the performers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn! You are so fun, how incredible to be let "inside" places that more forgeiners have never been. In just these few short posts I can see that you are a wonderfuly positive embassador for Americans everywhere. and your friends obviously see a light in you..I'm so proud of you! Thinking of you!

Emily said...

just got the Lonely Planet - China... SO EXCITED!!! hmm... how will i ever finish the semester?

lots of love,

heidi. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.