Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympics Continued


I've spent three evenings this week at the stadium in Tianjin watching football (soccer) games.  It's been fun!  Last night I was able to watch the women's soccer team from Brazil beat Norway. Since I was born in Brazil I was especially excited to see and cheer for that team.  

Here are some interesting facts about Chinese olympics: 

1.  Food - stadium sells drinks - very reasonable.  Water is about 50 cents and soda's are about $1.  

  - they sell plain bread, instant noodles (you are supposed to eat them dry), some strange sausage thing, and snickers bars.  You cannot bring your own food into the stadium. 

2.  The spectators.  The Chinese are all about the experience.  They are very interested in crazy fans (usually taking more pictures of them than the game) and any foreigners that are around them...  It's a little strange sometimes. 

3.  Usually the crowd cheers for everyone.  They just want an interesting game.  The more goals the better.  When Italy and Cameroon stopped playing and kept kicking the ball between their own defenders they got quite upset. 
4.  There are a TON of security people everywhere.  Of course I guess they need rest times 
as well....



Well, I am off to Beijing today to see what I can see.  I'm not sure what that will be but after today I think my Olympic experience will be over.  School starts on Wednesday and I have a lot of work to do before then.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds really amazing. Sure beats the TV :)