Sunday, April 6, 2008

Changes

Living internationally means that things are constantly changing...people come and go every year, you come and go, and well, things around you come and go. Changes seem to be magnified this year. And that is also evident in our physical surroundings. The word on the street (or should I say the school bus) says that the Olympians will be coming on the road right past our school on the way to the stadium. That means the road needs to be widened and various other "facelifts" need to take place - starting three weeks ago. :) At least it will all be finished in 4 months! :)


There are two major ways to get to school - one has been under construction for a year for the underground subway and parts are literally blocked off, the other is now being torn up daily. I've been walking home on a small dirt road (it's just on the other side of that brick wall above) these days especially since it took me 30 minutes to take the bus last Monday and it takes me 30 minutes to walk. I don't mind though and the weather is nice so that helps. Things change daily - the construction/destruction is moving at a rapid pace and there is no way for me to truly give you a real feel but here's just a few shots of the what it's like now.

The first picture shows the massive traffic jam that is continually outside the school as they are widening the road. It's taken out a window so not so good. Those of you that know Tianjin well will see some other changes to the "empty lot" beside the school. The wall is being taken down among other things... And yes, the students are late to school now all the time. Literally all the routes from the main part of town to our school are under construction.

There used to be buildings here....



This is the road just down from our apartments - it just needed some pipe repairing and repaving (second time in my 3 years here). Cars keep driving through this road though as it's the only way to avoid some of the other massive construction
Do you have a headache yet? :) I try to keep a positive attitude about it. Change is never fun for anyone but - I'm sure there will be some positive things that come about. One of the most positive is all the extra trees the city is planting everywhere including in front of our school. Pictures coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that's the China I know! Glad to know it hasn't changed too much. :) I keep up with your blog and check it for updates all the time. Keep up the GREAT work. :) I know you've GOT to be the most awesome teacher and those kids are super blessed to have you. - Love, Christy Davis (Cowser formerly)