Saturday, January 19, 2008

Science (Chaos) Fair

It's Science Fair time in the middle school at TIS and that involves a LOT of time, energy and patience. We've been working on developing ideas, questions, research, hypothesis, and materials since just after Thanksgiving. For the last two weeks I've been helping students after school with their individual projects. Answering questions for 8 or 9 students all working on different things is practically impossible to do. Here is a view of the lab and a view of my classroom and you can kind of see the chaos. Overall, they did pretty well though and I'm proud of them.


I've also learned a lot. Here we have to mix our own solutions as well as make our own petri dishes (these can usually just be bought in America). This involves a lot of extra time but I'm slowly getting there. It's been a LONG time since I even used petri dishes. :) haha. Overall though, I've been really pleased with the kids. They are doing some great things and have really done well with their testing. Thursday they started analyzing their data and putting it into charts and graphs. I think they were really getting it! I was so proud! :) Two more weeks - i'll post more pictures when we actually have the fair.



No comments: