In the fall of every year a great phenomenon occurs in Tianjin. I call it the Great Wrap Up. All the trees and shrubs are wrapped in green (and sometimes striped) tarp.... Now we foreigners
have always been intrigued by this...my theory is that it is to protect these "vulnerable" plants from the cold, fierce, Siberian Winds. However, in past years all the shrubs that were wrapped had to be replanted come spring anyway..... And this year they have taken to wrapping the trunks of trees and the small shrubs themselves.....we can't figure it out. Maybe it's just to make the city more green during the most grey months... - nice thought but unlikely.... At any rate it can be amusing at times. I have chronicled various streets in Tianjin with their respective "wrapping". Enjoy! :)
To the right (above) is a picture of the large scrawny everygreens that are out front of our school during a snow squall (we don't really get a lot of snow up here - think semi-arid region) Most of the wrapping only occurs on three sides... Most of my pictures are facing the side that is open although sometimes this year the plants are completely entombed in the wrapping... Below is a picture I took riding my bike to school yesterday... The tarps are getting dusty now. And it was COLD!
This is across the street from a very popular shopping center. This is the most ridiculous wrapping I've seen to date. I have many more pictures of this place but I'll spare you. I think you can get the idea from this one. And if anyone else has any other great ideas as to the logic behind this - let me know! :)
1 comment:
It's especially strange that they would wrap evergreens. I don't remember the shrubs & trees being wrapped in Changchun. Oh wait, Changchun doesn't have trees.
Ok, that's an exaggeration, I guess it's pretty much like every other Chinese city (besides Kunming), but with more evergreen-types.
Post a Comment