Sunday, November 11, 2007

Atoms and Periodic Tables

As a teacher there are many weeks when you just wonder what in the world you are doing in this profession....the kids and you seem to be in separate orbits never quite getting it or you are just too exhausted to think about whether the kids are getting it or not. Then there are other weeks where - well, things just go well.... I just had one of those weeks. :)

We started the week off making Atom Mobiles showing the different quantum numbers in Chemistry. Although this activity took longer than I planned it was fun and I have some great mobiles to hang in my room.


We are now talking about the Periodic Table and I've never had a class so excited about the periodic table. They are currently researching the history of the name and discovery of three elements on the periodic table. My goal is that they realize that the names have meaning and come from somewhere. (did you know that two elements are named after women, 4 were named after 1 town in Sweden, Potassium originated from an Arabic word....etc.) There wasn't even any moaning when I announced this assignment! :) I think it all has to do with the Periodic Elements song. If you are a little rusty on the periodic table can I just encourage you to click on this link and watch the periodic element song... it will make your day! :) http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html

In other news...Saturday night was the Performing Arts Celebration at school. In other words one HUGE recital. The students are so talented - in the arts (the sports were a little week this weekend...) But in piano and violen and clarinet - they're awesome. I have no idea when they have time to practice between our school and their Korean Academies...

And last night I had a couple of girls over that I get together with about once a month...we ate dinner together and made turkey and pumpkin sugar cookie cut-outs for fall. Yeah - it was a little ethnocentric of me but I didn't care and neither did they. They had fun decorating and eating!! :)





That's all from this week - we'll see what next week has to hold.... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I just listened to the periodic elements song. It is fantastic!! I think my first graders would even learn some of the elements with that song. I might have to slow it down a bit though.
Hope you have another great week of teaching.

Mom