Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Graduation and Goodbyes

Since returning from spring trip, life has been crazy with finals, and goodbyes. Last night was graduation. It was held at the Sheraton hotel here in town and we graduated 17 or 18 students - I can't remember. We had our last meetings today, I cleaned out my desk and submitted my final grades. It's hard to believe another year is over.

In an international school, goodbyes are common and this year isn't unlike others. For example, currently, there are 4 students in 10th grade that won't be returning next year - could be more, we never know. In a class of 25 total students (4 of those students were new second semester of this year) this is a significant flux. And yes, it's never easy.

In addition, this year some of my good friends are leaving which is also a little difficult... ah the joys of international life.

Currently, I am trying to balance the following - packing up my apartment because I am moving yet again (4 times in 4 years.. :) ), packing for my trip to Tibet, buying last minute things, saying goodbye to friends who are leaving, and packing to return to America for the summer. Thankfully grades and school is now off that list.

Yes, I am heading to Tibet. Molly, my friend Emily who is visiting China currently, and her friend from high school and I are going to be leaving on Friday. We are taking the train to Lhasa (which I am super excited about - call me crazy - it's 48 hours!). We'll spend a couple days in Lhasa on the roof of the world (no we won't make it to Mt. Everest this time) and return by plane. It's something that Molly and I have wanted to do (well the traveling part), for well over a year and we are looking forward to it!!

I am also looking forward to returning to America in 1 1/2 weeks.

4 comments:

heidi. said...

it's 17 students.

Have fun in Tibet... especially on the train! :)

Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds awesome!!! I would love to go to Tibet. Tell Groovy I said hi. Is there any chance of us actually getting to see each other while in the states? I will be only be in country for July.
~Scottie

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Call me when you get back to the States when you're feeling up to it! I can't wait to hear all about the trip (just looked at pics of the railway on BBC).

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I feel like I am reading a "National Geographic" article, complete with fantastic pictures when I am viewing your blog.
Hope to see you soon in Greencastle.
Amelia Kasinof