Sunday, May 27, 2007

Spring Trip 2007: Guilin

Every Spring TIS sends all classes 5th grade and above to somewhere in China on a trip to learn about China as well as themselves. The trips vary in area and length depending on the grade. Last year and this year I went with the 10th graders to Guilin which is one of the most beautiful places in China and many of the kids agree it's their favorite trip due to the fun activities they do. I personally enjoy the amazing scenery. Here's a little taste.
We left Tianjin last Friday and spent 22 hours on a train to arrive in Guilin. At the train station we were picked up by Chinaclimb staff (a very good company who organizes all our activities in Guilin (check out www.chinaclimb.com and look for the photoalbum of our trip) and taken to an area called Longsheng (Dragon's Backbone). Many years ago the people that farmed rice in the valley's were driven into the mountains. Still wanting to continue the farming they knew, they terraced the mountain sides and built an amazing irrigation system. These minority people (called Zhuang and Yao) still live in the area. I could tell you many things about them but will not at this time. The scenery and hiking is fabulous in that area and we stayed the first night at a Zhuang village and hiked all day the next day to the Yao village.

AFter hiking in Longsheng we drove into the small tourist/backpacker town of Yanghsuo. Yangshuo is famous for is limestone karsts that dot the landscape everywhere. These karsts are a hot spot for rockclimbers and the area is full of adventure enthusiasts.

Our first day in Yangshuo we spent a day on a service project. We visited a rather poor school in the area taking them supplies and playing with the children. From there we hiked the 1 1/2 hours up into the karsts to the home of one of the students of that school (yes he does that twice a day to go to school!) Tucked away deep in the woods was farmer Chen. He has a few rice fields, some fruit trees, and some other things but no electricity or animals. We spent a little bit of time pruning his orange trees. Although this hike was extremely hot, and we weren't prepared for it's length I think the students were definitely impressed by the distance Farmer Chen's son walks to get to school and the hard work that farming is.
The following days were spent in fun activities which included kayaking down the beautiful Li river, caving (playing in mud as well), rock climbing, swimming in the river, and biking. It was so much fun and I told myself many times I have the best job in the world....Ok maybe not but...

















Overall, the students were really good - considering the fact they aren't really "outsdoorsy". It's kind of hard for me to imagine what it's like to grow up in a city and in a culture where studying all the time is the norm.... I really enjoyed the time I had with the girls (there are only 11 girls in this class) and lot's of opportunities for great fun - whether it was plastering each other with mud, water battles, pulling them off the bridge into the water, shopping, eating together and lots of other things girls do we had a blast. More than once I thought to myself - I can't believe this is my job!
Of course then there's reality and after 9 days I was completely exhuasted and honestly ready for a break from being mom to 25 kids with all kinds of ailments and issues. :)

This week is finals. We have a couple of days of review and then the finals on Thursday and Friday with graduation next Tuesday.
Thursday is also when my friend Emily comes to visit! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! those pics are GORGEOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my... I have a hard time imagining any of the Korean kids I know covered in mud! How fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I really enjoyed your pictures and story about your trip with the students. It did look like you had a lot of fun. Did you really cover yourself in mud?

Love,
Mom

Jennifer said...

Yes Miranda, they don't enjoy getting "sweaty" but since every class before them has mud pictures they kind of HAVE to do it! It's great. And Mom - I am in that picture. I am the one in the red shirt that is kind of showing through. :)