Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Thailand


After two days in Singapore, we took a cheap flight up to Phuket, Thailand. (Singapore is at the tip of the long spit of land that comes down from Thailand and also includes the western part of Malaysia).



You know those advertisements in airline magazines of beaches with white sand, turquoise water, and palm trees... the ones where you think they don't really exist and if they did you wouldn't ever be there... that's what Thailand is. The water is stunning, the beaches are bleached white, there are palm trees and great food!


We stayed on an island called Kho Phi Phi (pronounced pee pee - I'm not kidding). It was a small island about 1 1/2 hours by boat from the larger phuket island. Phi Phi was hit hard by the tsunami two years ago - at least 3,000 villagers and tourists died there. They are still rebuilding but the tourists have definitely come back. (a few too many for my liking to be honest).



It was real easy to hire a local boat man to take you on a tour of surrounding islands or to a small beach cove. We did some snorkeling there which was great. There were so many colorful and beautiful fish! I also spent a lot of time reading which is my ideal way to spend a vacation. Enjoy the pictures! (if you'd like to see them larger, just click on them)



boats in the morning haze, (L) a cove we went to one day (middle) ....a day of reading under those umbrellas was nice! (above)

Even though Tianjin is very grey and covered in gunpowder dust from the firecrackers it is still good to be back. School starts Monday so I am spending this time catching up on school work and catching up with friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn! That all looks so great. I was at Phuket over Christmas time and, let me just say, I am so jealous that you were just there! I am glad you made it back ok, and thanks for the pictures of you, you're looking great!

Emily said...

oh man!! i am totally LOVING this blog... (i know liz will second the emotion) another fabulous life thru which to live vicariously!! yay!! Thanks fo rthe pics, and you do look great! Lots of love!

heidi. said...

we're just a dot on the map!! wheeeee! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
holy cow....Thailand looks unbelievable, and I have to say (being married to an amazing photographer has taught me some things...) YOU ARE A FABULOUS PHOTOGRAPHER! I am really impressed (I especially love the boat pics and have set one of them as my computer backround!) love to you!