Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Singapore

One week ago I was in Singapore on a short break from the greyness of Tianjin. I went to Singapore with five friends from here. It was my second time in Singapore and I have to say I love this city. Here's a couple of reasons why.



1. It's Green and Beautiful! There are lots of trees, lots of beautiful buildings, little to no trash, no pollution, blue skies, beautiful parks and gardens, a wonderful orchid garden... you get the idea...


2. The People: Singapore has a wonderful mix of cultures.... Little India, China town, etc. There are four national languages: English, Chinese, Malay, and Tamil. However, English is the working language so everyone knows it and speaks it. But there is such a wide variety of race and ethnicity here. You can find any type of food and culture. In addition the people are very friendly and courteous.


3. Speaking of food I love the food here. Whether it's Malaysian, Indian curry (YUM YUM), or Chinese, or western there are "hawker centers" everywhere were you can find great cheap food.

4. Border's bookstore - It is very large here and has tons of great books on Asia in English!


5. I was able to meet up and spend some great time with friends who worked here in Tianjin and a couple of my students. It was great to see them. :) Here is a picture of me with two of my students that moved back. We also spent time with some great team members that moved back to Singapore. They were wonderful hosts and we enjoyed seeing a more personal side of Singapore.




Did you know:
- There is no chewing gum sold in Singapore - it's against the law
- They don't allow cars that are older than 10 years in the country.


...more to come later on Thailand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so crazy beautiful! By the way, THANKS A MILLION for maintaining this site! :) I love reading it. From your friend in Americ, Christy

Emily said...

NO CHEWING GUM IN SINGAPORE?!? Man!! Here i come!! Jenn, as always, it was SO fabulous talking to you tonight, i hope all is well. Take care.

LOVE, emily

Anonymous said...

Jenn.....is it true that it is illegal to spit in public in Singapore? hope you are well!