I heard a phrase recently that went something like this. “Live overseas for a month and you’ll want to write an article about it. Live overseas for a year and you’ll want to write a book about it. Live overseas for a few years and you won’t want to talk about it.” As this blog shows, that is kind of how my experience here has become. I just don't talk about it anymore. Not that I'm not doing anything, not that I don't enjoy my life...it's just become commonplace to me; my normal life. (How many times can I show pictures of the fabric market or my classroom?) And so my blog posts have waned the last two years. For my faithful readers, I am sorry. I feel as though I have let you down. It's not that I haven't thought of stories - I have. Truly China abounds with blog worth stories. But the energy to get them posted on the internet has been more than I have had at times.....and so the blog has waned...
But deep down I also knew that I was changing and shifting. I sensed that this chapter of my life was closing. And so it is true, at the end of this year I will be returning to America (I'm told people who live in the US don't call it America but I think it sounds normal... - just one of the things I will have to readjust to.)
Yes! My next big adventure will be living in America and to be honest, that's how I'm viewing it - I am returning "home" in one sense - of course it is home - but after eight years in China I have to have the perspective of tackling a new country. I have changed and the place I'm returning to has changed and so adventure here we come! Stories of embarrassing moments and misunderstandings and cultural adjustments - here we come! (I might have to get over my fear of those crazy credit card machines at Target that I can't ever figure out, or buy a tourbook and look for where I can get the best Korean food). But in the end it will be worth it. Just like my time in China.
And what are my plans? In June I will return to live with my parents until I get a job. I am still planning to teach science and am looking anywhere between where my parents live and the D.C. suburbs. I'd love to be nearer to DC due to the international communities there but we shall see what opens up and where I end up.
For now I am spending my time saying goodbye to the people, places, things and way of life that has become a part of my life and my life these last eight years. (oh and still teaching and planning and filling out job applications). I will miss so many things - it hurts deeply I have to admit. And yet, I am at peace and know that this is the right and next step.
I will try my best to upload a picture or two when I can. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have more questions. Until next time - See ya!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you on the crazy credit card machines at all of the places or self-check out in some places. I have a fear of that when I am back in America.
Jenn--I can successfully help you navigate any and all Target trips! Leaving is hard as is transition, BUT there can be a lot of undiscovered jewels/blessings in both.
Post a Comment